So this was a cool experience today. I had been toying around with the chord progression for the verse for maybe a month. I finally found a melody to match it that I liked. I started writing the lyrics as I went to a staff meeting this afternoon. All through the staff meeting the words kept coming to me, but I didn't have a chorus yet.
All of a sudden - BOOM! There was the chorus. I could hardly sit in my meeting. I was so antsy to get back downstairs to my piano in my classroom and play the whole song! It was literally making me want to vomit because I had to go play it. Finally the meeting was over and I went down and played it. LOVED IT!
I thought I was done with it once I had the chorus, but as I was playing it through for the first time, the coda just came out of nowhere and added itself to the end of the song. It felt complete as I finished up the words. I wrote the last word on the page, set up my computer to record it, and recorded it in just one take, which is why my vocals are not the greatest on it.
I often say to my wife when I hear a fantastic song that I wish I had written it. This is my great song. It may not be a great song to anyone but me, but regardless, this is my great song that I want other musicians to hear and go "Wow. I wish I had written that song." Maybe someday.
The line in the chorus about "praying for reasons to bleed" is not about looking for reasons to make yourself bleed. It is about feeling the urge to be completely needed, such as my wife is needed right now by our newborn. We all feel that way sometimes. It's good to admit that every once in a while.
You fall to your knees burned to the core
You close your eyes searching for more
Though I may try I cannot heal
All that you need I cannot reveal
And you pray for the things that you need
And you’re praying for reasons to bleed
And you look to the heavens above
And you’re looking for anyone’s love
You cannot give up, you cannot give in
There’s more to this world then living in sin
Don’t look to find the easy way out
You’ve got to rid yourself of your doubt
And you pray for the things that you need
And you’re praying for reasons to bleed
And you look to the heavens above
And you’re looking for anyone’s love
It’s your last chance train
Wash away your pain
There’s a world out there
Where life might be fair
You don’t need the lies
Everybody cries
Give away your tears
Give away your fears
1 comment:
great song, i love the lyrics.
Post a Comment