I finished writing this song a few weeks ago. My biggest challenge with writing music these days is writing lyrics for them. Writing the music is the easy part. Back when I first started writing music the words came easier. Funny how that changes. I think I need to start reading more poetry. I used to read a lot of poetry and it helped open my mind to words. I should start doing that again.
This is not anything important lyrically. I was just writing for writing's sake. There's no garden, no devil's eye, no fire. Just words for the beauty of words. The line "I've got nothing left to say" is honestly about not being able to find the right words for this song. Writer's block sucks...
I walked the world the whole night through
To get myself away from you
So slip inside the wall of your mind’s eye
What’s the point of learning hate?
You can’t sit back and wait for fate
The life you have is yours to use or lose
Love don’t fail me
And don’t expect me to see
You derailing
And falling down at my feet
Watching my garden grow
I know there’s things I don’t know
But I’m not afraid to die
Or spit in the devil’s eye
I grow older everyday
I’ve got nothing left to say
I’m just trying to be who I should be
Can’t you see?
So in the dark of my mind’s eye
There’s angels teaching me to fly
The halo I’ve been given I can’t wear
You label me the fool of fools
Yet look to me for what to do
I think you’re finally sinking in your sea
Where’s the fire
You claim is burning through you
You’re a liar
You’ve got so much left to prove
Watching my garden grow
I know there’s things I don’t know
But I’m not afraid to die
Or spit in the devil’s eye
I grow older everyday
I’ve got nothing left to say
I’m just trying to be who I should be
Can’t you see?
1 comment:
Hmmm.....I can click on the title at the bottom and listen to it, but none of the other posts have that. I don't get it. I guess I still have a lot to learn now that I'm using a Mac.
It sounds great. I must say you're very gifted.
Post a Comment