I wrote this song a few weeks ago, but I just finished the lyrics earlier today. I wrote this as I was falling asleep one night. I always have my phone on my nightstand and sometimes I'll get an idea and just roll over to grab my phone to record the basis for the song. Sometimes I'll hum a melody, sometimes I'll hum a chord progression. It just depends on what hits me. With this song it was the melody. My problem is that I don't know if this is song that somebody already wrote. It reminds me of another song but I can't tell you for the life of me what song that is!
The same thing happened with Paul McCartney when he wrote "Yesterday". (By the way - I am NOT comparing myself to McCartney or this song to "Yesterday".) He woke up one morning with the song in his head and figured it out quickly on the piano. He said it came to him so quickly and easily that he thought for sure that he hadn't written it. He thought it might be a song that he heard his dad play when he was a kid. Paul's dad was a jazz musician. Paul took the song around London to his musician friends for a while and would play it for them, asking if they could identify the mystery song. None of them could. He didn't even have real words for it yet. The opening line of the song was "Scrambled eggs, oh you've got yourself such lovely legs..." Eventually he realized that the song was his very own creation and he went with it.
So now I put it to you - have you heard this song before? I really want to know because I swear this came from someone else and I don't want to be known as a ripoff. Let me know if you've heard it, or if it sounds like something else you've heard. Even let me know if it sounds like an original, new song. If I did copy this from someone else it was completely unintentional. I appreciate all comments and suggestions!!
Sometimes this pain is the answer
A customized scream for defeat
Heartache is my midnight dancer
A feeling I find bittersweet
It’s been too long since I’ve been home
The face I once knew is long gone
I feel the madness in my bones
I’ve done so much right it feels wrong
Baby, you done me wrong
Left me all on my own
Maybe I’ll run a long
With this pain I now own
I used to think I was special
Much to my dismay I choked
I thought I knew myself so well
Parts of me felt they were broke
I’ve done my best to get by this
It’s hard when I can’t get away
I’m not the person that I’ll miss
But I’ll be the one in my way
Baby, you done me wrong
Left me all on my own
Maybe I’ll run a long
With this pain I now own
I’m such a mess
Inside this flesh
Baby, you done me wrong
Left me all on my own
Maybe I’ll run a long
With this pain I now own
Own.mp3
The same thing happened with Paul McCartney when he wrote "Yesterday". (By the way - I am NOT comparing myself to McCartney or this song to "Yesterday".) He woke up one morning with the song in his head and figured it out quickly on the piano. He said it came to him so quickly and easily that he thought for sure that he hadn't written it. He thought it might be a song that he heard his dad play when he was a kid. Paul's dad was a jazz musician. Paul took the song around London to his musician friends for a while and would play it for them, asking if they could identify the mystery song. None of them could. He didn't even have real words for it yet. The opening line of the song was "Scrambled eggs, oh you've got yourself such lovely legs..." Eventually he realized that the song was his very own creation and he went with it.
So now I put it to you - have you heard this song before? I really want to know because I swear this came from someone else and I don't want to be known as a ripoff. Let me know if you've heard it, or if it sounds like something else you've heard. Even let me know if it sounds like an original, new song. If I did copy this from someone else it was completely unintentional. I appreciate all comments and suggestions!!
Sometimes this pain is the answer
A customized scream for defeat
Heartache is my midnight dancer
A feeling I find bittersweet
It’s been too long since I’ve been home
The face I once knew is long gone
I feel the madness in my bones
I’ve done so much right it feels wrong
Baby, you done me wrong
Left me all on my own
Maybe I’ll run a long
With this pain I now own
I used to think I was special
Much to my dismay I choked
I thought I knew myself so well
Parts of me felt they were broke
I’ve done my best to get by this
It’s hard when I can’t get away
I’m not the person that I’ll miss
But I’ll be the one in my way
Baby, you done me wrong
Left me all on my own
Maybe I’ll run a long
With this pain I now own
I’m such a mess
Inside this flesh
Baby, you done me wrong
Left me all on my own
Maybe I’ll run a long
With this pain I now own
Own.mp3
No comments:
Post a Comment