Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Bitter Screw

This one came pretty quick to me. I was on my way over to the church for the general priesthood session of conference when the melody popped into my head. I sat in the car for a minute after I got there and wrote the first couple of lines. By the time I left the church after the session I had it it finished. This song has nothing to do with conference, nor is it religious by any means.

I had been listening to Pearl Jam's new album earlier in the day. (By the way - it is fantastic! Go grab a copy.) The melody came about from do some listening to them. This is not meant to be a Pearl Jam song. In fact, it sounds nothing like Pearl Jam, but somehow or another, Eddie and the guys inspired this song.

Bitter Screw is just a reference to the hard things in life. Sometimes you have to turn that bitter screw, or do those things you really hate doing but know they have to be done. It doesn't mean it's easy by any means. It is in fact harder, but we still do it - still turn it. I really like this song though and I think it has a lot of potential.


You don’t know me
You don’t know me
You don’t know my name
You might see me
Break and beat me
Find in me some shame

Now we’re going round and round
To crash into the ground
All we do is spin in sin
It’s trouble that we’re in

You’re enraging
You’re engaging
Fire in my hand
Unassuming
So confusing
Hard to understand

You cannot provide inside
A calm before the storm
I know that you hate to wait
Your patience has to form

As you hold onto your soul
I know you have to go
As we turn this bitter screw
There’s a light that shines on you
It’s much easier to fail
Than to let the truth prevail
And it’s all that I can do
But I can’t do it all for you

I’m still hurting
Though deserving
Part of kingdom come
You’re a bad dream
Can’t you come clean?
What now have you done?

There’s a part of you – it’s true
That scratches at my mind
There’s a part of me I see
That could only be so kind

As you hold onto your soul
I know you have to go
As we turn this bitter screw
There’s a light that shines on you
It’s much easier to fail
Than to let the truth prevail
And it’s all that I can do
But I can’t do it all for you


Bitter Screw.mp3

No comments: