This is again one of those weird lyrical songs a la "I am the Walrus". When I write a song like this I can pretty much name it whatever I want. For this one I just glanced over the lyrics and picked the word that stood out the most to me. It's not about a corkscrew. I don't own a corkscrew. I have never used a corkscrew. In fact, corkscrews look like an accident waiting to happen.
Any road, I was playing around on the guitar and came up with this chord progression. It has some pretty standard chords to it, but I was trying out tiny alterations to those chords. This is what I came up with. I love the chorus - "She screams out...". It's fun to sing, but also to play. In terms of the chords it starts off with an A major chord, then down to an A major 7th chord, then to an A 7th chord. I always like a little chromatic drop in chords. If I was only a better guitar player. With short, stubby (and now fat) fingers come some limits.
The other thing I was trying to do was pick out words that aren't always heard on a daily basis to throw into this song. I took myself out of my normal comfort zone for writing music on this song. Normally my songs and lyrics are pretty safe. What I would do is write a few lines that rhymed and then I'd re-write it as though I'd gone batty. This was a little bit more challenging for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing process for this one.
Corkscrew.mp3
Any road, I was playing around on the guitar and came up with this chord progression. It has some pretty standard chords to it, but I was trying out tiny alterations to those chords. This is what I came up with. I love the chorus - "She screams out...". It's fun to sing, but also to play. In terms of the chords it starts off with an A major chord, then down to an A major 7th chord, then to an A 7th chord. I always like a little chromatic drop in chords. If I was only a better guitar player. With short, stubby (and now fat) fingers come some limits.
The other thing I was trying to do was pick out words that aren't always heard on a daily basis to throw into this song. I took myself out of my normal comfort zone for writing music on this song. Normally my songs and lyrics are pretty safe. What I would do is write a few lines that rhymed and then I'd re-write it as though I'd gone batty. This was a little bit more challenging for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing process for this one.
Walled in with her silence
And all this violence
Has nothing on me
Head on like a corkscrew
I cannot undo
All that you see
There nothing do but watch your mind
A heart attack would not be so kind
It’s all early morning
Not even a warning
To save my own life
I’m staying in bed here
Drinking my own tears
Twisting the knife
Disparity calms a soul that aches
It’s all just a ruse for heaven’s sakes!
She shouts out words she read in a bible
Oh such confusion that will blister on her soul
Pop princess spends her time in revival
Tearing the world apart just to find herself a role
These thoughts here are not mine
Stay in the black lines
You’re moving out
You’re wearing a disguise
Yet you seem so wise
Licking your pout
You’re doing your best to stay on your feet
This life that you live is stuck on repeat
She shouts out words she read in a bible
Oh such confusion that will blister on her soul
Pop princess spends her time in revival
Tearing the world apart just to find herself a role
Down in a distress
Falling through air
I get the answer pulling hair
Muddy conviction
Follows me through
I ain’t got much but I got you
Walled in with her silence
And all this violence
Has nothing on me
Head on like a corkscrew
I cannot undo
All that you see
There nothing do but watch your mind
A heart attack would not be so kind
She shouts out words she read in a bible
Oh such confusion that will blister on her soul
Pop princess spends her time in revival
Tearing the world apart just to find herself a role
Corkscrew.mp3
No comments:
Post a Comment