Friday, October 8, 2010

Out the Gate

So I am working on a new album. It is somewhat of a concept album, but by no means is it my original concept. Many people before me have done the same concept for an album. This album is simply titled "Life", so I am sure you can guess what it's about. All of the songs are from some point in my life starting with the night I graduated from high school.

This first song "Out the Gate" is about the type of person I was the night I graduated from high school. I thought I could take on the world singlehandedly. I was so wrong. I had no direction, no ambition. I was a quick road to destruction. I really thought I knew it all and that I needed no guidance or direction from anybody. Again, so wrong!

It's amazing what self reflection can produce. In essence, that is what this album is about. I have been thinking a lot about the poor choices I have made in my life that led me to bad place, but I have also been thinking about the wise decisions I have made that brought good into my life, such as my wife, my children, my education, etc. That's really what life is all about.

So for the next few months I will be posting songs on here that are part of this album. The songs are always changing lyrically and melodically. I will post different versions of the songs if I change them drastically. I already have written about six or seven of these songs, but I am always working on them. The songs will be about everything I have experienced and my great hope for this project is that someone listening might be able to relate to some experience or feelings in my life and see that they are not as alone as they may have thought they are.

Please feel free to ask any questions or offer any ideas or suggestions. I am always wanting to hear different views from different people. I really will take everything into consideration. My ideas for things are definitely not always the best. This project is very personal to me and I hope that you will look at this with that thought in mind. Get ready for the ride!


I threw myself into the night
The thunder made it feel so right
Still I was caught off guard by tears
Now it was time to face my fears

The current I was caught in pulled me every which way
I guess I lost myself when I forgot how to pray

The times, they didn’t seem so bad
But like a fool I never really knew what I had
I played with fire I couldn’t tame
And I burned everyone but never took any blame

I did my best to be as careless as I could be
I closed my eye to things I didn’t want to see

I was blind and so naïve
I had answers but I couldn’t believe
Young and dumb, fresh out the gate
I was going to have to hurt before it was too late

I thought that I would make my mark
Not if I’m living in the dark
I hitched a ride on lives not mine
I tried to leave my life behind

I took a shotgun ride with sinners, harlots, and fools
There was no use for me in keeping up with the rules

I was blind and so naïve
I had answers but I couldn’t believe
Young and dumb, fresh out the gate
I was going to have to hurt before it was too late

I’m no sinner
I’m a winner
I am no saint
File your complaint

I’m no sinner
I’m a winner
I am no saint
File your complaint


01 Out the Gate.mp3

No comments: