Sometimes I just like a self depricating song and that's what we have here. Some days are better than others and some days I just feel dark and drab. These lyrics came from that place.This was a few weeks ago and for some reason I was in a slump. I'm out of it now, but I do fall into it from time to time.The thing about it is that for me, writing music is the best type of therapy. It really helps.
Can I tell you specifically what this song is about? Not really. Just the fact that sometimes I can't stand myself and I really do feel like such a mess. There is never really anything specific - just the feeling that I am substandard as a human being. The things that help pull me out of these slumps, besides self therapy, are my family. My wife and kids are the "I can pull through if I've got you" part of this song. Good thing they are around!!
Darlin’
You’ve opened my eyes to the sadness
Brought me back away from the madness
I’m cracked on the surface
But light is enveloping me
This time
I’ll pick up the pieces around me
Find comfort as you now surround me
I’ll look for redemption
I won’t fight this battle alone
And I, I must confess
How I’ve made myself such a mess
I can’t heal if I can’t feel
I have nothing left to conceal
Losing
I think that those days are behind me
I don’t think my demons will find me
I clawed my way out
Of the hole that I put myself in
Silent
My eyes tell the path I have travelled
My soul is no longer unraveled
I’m free of the weight
And I have no more burden on me
And I, I must confess
How I’ve made myself such a mess
I can’t heal if I can’t feel
I have nothing left to conceal
There’s no more pain
Inside this brain
There’s no more rope for me to hang myself on
There’s no more grief
Only relief
There’s no more ledges left for me to jump off
No longer a fool
Not breaking the rules
I’m keeping my head above this water I’m in
I can pull through
If I’ve got you
I can pull through
If I’ve got you
I can pull through
If I've got you
I can pull through
If I've got you
I can pull through
If I've got you
I can pull through
Confess.mp3
Can I tell you specifically what this song is about? Not really. Just the fact that sometimes I can't stand myself and I really do feel like such a mess. There is never really anything specific - just the feeling that I am substandard as a human being. The things that help pull me out of these slumps, besides self therapy, are my family. My wife and kids are the "I can pull through if I've got you" part of this song. Good thing they are around!!
Darlin’
You’ve opened my eyes to the sadness
Brought me back away from the madness
I’m cracked on the surface
But light is enveloping me
This time
I’ll pick up the pieces around me
Find comfort as you now surround me
I’ll look for redemption
I won’t fight this battle alone
And I, I must confess
How I’ve made myself such a mess
I can’t heal if I can’t feel
I have nothing left to conceal
Losing
I think that those days are behind me
I don’t think my demons will find me
I clawed my way out
Of the hole that I put myself in
Silent
My eyes tell the path I have travelled
My soul is no longer unraveled
I’m free of the weight
And I have no more burden on me
And I, I must confess
How I’ve made myself such a mess
I can’t heal if I can’t feel
I have nothing left to conceal
There’s no more pain
Inside this brain
There’s no more rope for me to hang myself on
There’s no more grief
Only relief
There’s no more ledges left for me to jump off
No longer a fool
Not breaking the rules
I’m keeping my head above this water I’m in
I can pull through
If I’ve got you
I can pull through
If I’ve got you
I can pull through
If I've got you
I can pull through
If I've got you
I can pull through
If I've got you
I can pull through
Confess.mp3
1 comment:
Pretty cool stuff, Val. I'm sorry you get to a place where these lyrics spring from, but I'm glad you can turn your darkness into something so rewarding. Good luck with the music business.
Post a Comment