Thursday, August 25, 2011

Long Hard Road

Last year I had to go to a different school once a week to teach. I hated it. I won't mention the school but the kids were selfish and rude and just plain irritating to be around. The teachers weren't much better. There were two other music teachers at the school that I liked but most of the other teachers were just "high and mighty" and self centered/serving. They would rarely show up on time to class and they caused all sorts of problems.

One day as I sat waiting for the class to show up I was sitting at the piano just tinkering around. I was trying to write a song using a chord progression going from a C major to a B diminished seeing as how it was something I had never done before. This was from listening to lots of jazz and some Frank. (Anyone who has to ask me Frank who will be dealt with accordingly!) I THOUGHT that I had done it with the piece of music. The first two chords were being played that way. Then about three weeks after I had written it I was playing it on my ukulele trying to figure out the fingerings and I played an E7 instead of the B diminished and I realized that THAT was the chord should be. I guess I still need to write my song with the C major/B dim change.

It was raining the day that I wrote the song - hence the "stormy clouds" line. My favorite part of the song was the refrain though - "It's a long, hard road, it's a heavy load, and I've gone about as far as I can go". Good heck I feel like that a lot. I'm sure others can relate quite well to it. At least I hope so.

I keep hearing this song on the ukulele. I think that is the instrument it should be accompanied by. I'm still trying to learn the uke well enough to play it and record it, so once I can play it I'll have to re-record it with that. I love the simplicity of the ukulele and how it takes a really good melody to be accompanied by something as simple as a uke. I think it's fantastic that Eddie Vedder just released his "Ukulele Songs" album. For those of you who have not listened to it - you are completely missing out. Get a copy ASAP. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this little ditty.


Stormy clouds will make me scream out loud
And I am swallowed by the sea
So I can’t seem to break free
There’s a truth I know that will not let me go
I fight to walk away from fate
Fight to sacrifice my fate

It’s a long, hard road
It’s a heavy load
And I’ve gone about as far as I can go

Rainy days won’t help me lose my way
I know when I am caught off guard
Falling down can be so hard
I guess I’ll ride the wind away from all my sins
I’m not sure I know what is right
Turning darkness into light

It’s a long, hard road
It’s a heavy load
And I’ve gone about as far as I can go

I’d die a million deaths but one is all it takes
I’d breathe each breath like it’s my last
Say what you will but I won’t let my old heart break
Hold me low but let me go

Stormy clouds will make me scream out loud
And I am swallowed by the sea
So I can’t seem to break free
There’s a truth I know that will not let me go
I fight to walk away from fate
Fight to sacrifice my fate

It’s a long, hard road
It’s a heavy load
And I’ve gone about as far as I can go



No comments: