Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Beast

I know its been awhile since I have posted anything on here. Its not because I am struggling with writer's block. (Sometimes I wish I was!) I just haven't recorded anything for quite awhile. This song is one that I wrote and recorded in October of last year. I apologize for the vocals. They are definitely not the greatest.

I could have named this song "Regrets" because that is really what it is about - the regrets in life that haunt us for longer than we should allow them to. How often it seems that we continually kick ourselves for things that have happened in the past, including those things that we had no control over! Relationships, jobs, things we've said to friends, the way we've treated family members, etc. The list could go on and on.

This started off as something I was playing around with on the guitar. It had such a dark vibe to it that I almost abandoned it. As I continued to play it to myself the word 'beast' kept creeping into my mind. From there is where the rest of the song came from. For me this is just a reminder that the 'beast' (regrets) of life CAN and WILL get to you, but only if you let it.



Time’s a vicious beast who gives you nothing back
All you hold in your hands fades into the black
Everything you hope for seems to be in vain
You have tried your best to wash off all your stains

Struggle with the patterns you have locked in place
Breaking every mirror in which you see your face
You don’t have the answers you’ve been searching for
You have no desire to fight in this unholy war

Even with your demons on the run
You can feel yourself coming undone

Where you gonna run to?
Where you gonna run this time?
Are you gonna stay right here and try to face your crimes?
Everybody’s looking, everybody’s watching you
You don’t get to decide anything you want to do

Grabbed and pulled apart by those who think they know
Feels like being dragged by wild horses through the snow
If it’s best for you that doesn’t mean a lot
Try as hard as you may, I will not be bought

Who exactly do you think you are?
You are not trapped under some bell jar

Where you gonna run to?
Where you gonna run this time?
Are you gonna stay right here and try to face your crimes?
Everybody’s looking, everybody’s watching you
You don’t get to decide anything you want to do




No comments: