Sunday, February 28, 2010

Hopeless

I wrote this song in 1995 I believe. It was the year after I graduated from high school. It came about from listening to a lot of Nirvana at the time. Kurt Cobain had been dead less than a year, and he had more of an influence on me dead than alive. I remember this being one of the first songs I wrote that I ever performed for my best friends, Bobby and Matt. I think I played it for the two of them in Matt's bedroom one afternoon. I loved the chromatic drop and rise in the song. I was really just starting to learn how to play the guitar and I loved that sound that had come about pure experimentation.

There is nothing to read into regarding the lyrics. What you read is what you get. I was still draped in my shroud of self-loathing so it was a pessimistic song. My lyrics were starting to improve somewhat during this time. Instead of being very simple I was starting to discover imagery to paint the feelings I was trying to sing about. All in all it's a pretty good song. It could use a killer solo in the middle of it - either a screaming guitar or a mourning cello.

Shadows crawl across my floor

Waves crash on a sandless shore tonight

Sound is shattered by an eerie silence

My every thought is full of violence tonight

My wishful thinking does nothing for me

And lonely whispers bring insanity

I’m so hopeless

Dreams drown in the pouring rain

Love lies beneath endless pain tonight

Love is blown in the howling wind

The air around me feels like sin tonight

The wall around me can’t be torn down

Everything I feel is forever bound

I’m so hopeless

Love’s always abandoning me

Can someone tell me why this must be tonight?

Years of loneliness have taken their toll

I need an angel to save my soul tonight

Sorrow has poisoned my mind like a drug

Pity could never take the place of love

I’m so hopeless

09 Hopeless.mp3

No comments: